June 25, 2010, Newsletter Issue #36: Nannies from Far Away

Tip of the Week

For many people the option of having a full-time babysitter, or nanny, seems the best way to go. Those who have the money and space in their home to provide room and board to a nanny will find that going through a hiring service is the easy way to go. Still others assume that hiring a nanny from abroad will save them a great deal of money.

What most do not realize, though, is that to legally bring a nanny from another country is complicated. A family who wishes to legally hire and bring over a foreign nanny must first get a "certificate of labor." A certificate of labor can only be obtained by applying directly for one from the U.S. Department of Labor. You must prove your need for the employee and that you need the skills of the person from abroad instead of an American in order to get the job done. Contact the US Department of Labor for specific application instructions. Once you have your certificate you must apply for the candidate of your choice as their sponsor through the USCIS Department. You will be applying for the J-1 visa for exchange aliens. This process can take several months and will cost you a few hundred dollars. If you are sure this is the route for you, go to the US Department of Immigration and Citizenship Services at www.uscis.gov to find out more.

About LifeTips

Now one of the top on-line publishers in the world, LifeTips offers tips to millions of monthly visitors. Our mission mission is to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. Expert writers earn dough for what they know. And exclusive sponsors in each niche topic help us make-it-all happen.

Not finding the advice and tips you need on this Babysitter Tip Site? Request a Tip Now!

Guru Spotlight
Sherril Steele-Carlin