Bad Habits Teen Babysitters Should Avoid
Read this tip to make your life smarter, better, faster and wiser. LifeTips is the place to go when you need to know about Babysitter Wanted and other Babysitter topics.
Why am I getting a lower rate as a teen babysitter?
Frustrated because you make less as a teen babysitter? Registering with the online babysitting service Babysitters4Hire.com gives you the ability to ask for a specific rate, but you may not receive job offers if you over-price your services.
You can't immediately overcome the barrier of age or experience, but you can avoid these bad habits. If you can avoid these pitfalls, whether you are a New York babysitter, or one in Des Moines, Iowa, you will eventually be paid more.
- Do not smoke. Even if your employer has given you permission. Even if it is outdoors. Smoking and child care do not mix, and you will leave a better impression.
- Do not show disrespect to your employer. This includes calling them by their first name unless given permission to do so.
- Vulgarity is never appropriate. Do not assume that no one listening. Children have a way of overhearing just about everything.
- The number one bad habit of babysitters is to raid the refrigerator.
- It is never a good idea to use personal items such as computers or iPods without permission.
- Arriving late is unprofessional, and will not help your cause in pursuing a higher rate.
- Never leave the place a mess. The children can help you clean it up.
- Always enforce a family rule, even if you don't see its validity.